others were confirmed dead on Friday in the village of
Uchenyim , Wanikade, North Ukelle in northern Cross
River State after eating the meat of a dog.
Reports from the area said the dog was fond of eating the
eggs laid by native chicken in the Odareko-Uchenyim
village and one of the villagers allegedly laced the eggs
laid by his chicken with gamalin 20 insecticide and as
“the dog ate the eggs and fell ill and when it was about to
die the owner quickly killed and prepared it into a
delicacy which he, his family consumed and some
neigbours consumed ” Ugbem Onawo, a villager narrated
The man and his two children and the two others who died,
according to the report also ate the intestines of the dog
where incidentally the poison from the gamalin 20 is
lodged leading to their taking ill and dying .
“After the man shared the intestines among his children
and the two neighbours and they ate death came calling
and they all died though at different times ”. Our source
Onawo said they were rushed to the local health centre for
medical attention but were confirmed dead on arrival at
the health centre. “A feeling of grieve has descended on
the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what
took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before”
Hon Frank Ugbem, the councilor representing Wanikade
Ward at the Yala Local Government Area legislature said
the tragedy is painful and that he has sent a delegation to
console the bereaved families.
He said all the dead have been buried in accordance within
the tradition of the Ukelle people.