Naijatop.com
Welcome to 9jatop.we offer you many like pc and mobile tweak,jokes,busness,buying and selling,education.

Sharing & Joining the World Together

You are not connected. Please login or register

Naijatop.com » ENTERTAINMENT »   » entertainment news » We get mad at each other 10 times a day?- Olu and Joke Jacobs

We get mad at each other 10 times a day?- Olu and Joke Jacobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wiserfool

amateur
amateur
Mr. Olu Jacobs and his wife, Joke, are top artistes. Inside their home, it is not all the time a bed of roses.  They share their happy and challenging times in this piece.
Marriage has been good, it has been wonderful.
How I met my husband
I met him at the National Theatre while we were rehearsing for Jero’s Metamorphosis by Professor Wole Soyinka in 1981. I was to play Sister Rubeka  and he was playing the role of Prophet Jero and, at the same time co-directing the play. That was where we met.
What happened when I met him
People  had been talking about him before I arrived the country because he was based in the UK at that time.  Everybody was talking about him, especially Miss Ene, the then Artistic Director of the National Theatre and Dr. Ashiwaju. They had met in England and I guess he would have been the Chiwetel Ejiofor of
that time. Just as what Chiwetel is to this present generation, so he was then.
He was one of the top African actors in England at that time, whether on stage or on screen. He was the talk of the town. So, I was looking forward to meeting him; when I finally saw him, he was quite a handsome man. Our first meeting, if I could remember vividly, I went to call Miss Ene to come and watch our rehearsal. They were in a production meeting, and, when I entered the office, the first thing he uttered was, “This is the woman I am going to marry.”
When I left the office, I said to myself, `How can anybody say it just like that?’ He  always insisted that I eyed him every now and then. We started out as very good friends. Four years later  we got married. We met in 1981 and married in 1985.
Courtship before marriage
We started courting before he proposed to me. But the proposal came after four years of our courtship. He proposed to me in Tunisia while he was on a movie set called, ‘The Pirate’, directed by Roman Polansky. I was in a drama school in London. So, I visited him briefly in Tunisia to spend some time with him, and later flew back to England. We have been married for 28 years now.
Attraction
He had a lovely sense of humour. He was also very passionate about his work. Additionally, he had a very broad shoulder and a very lean body like that of our last child. Basically, the attraction was his sense of fun and style. He really had, and still has a sense of style. You can never find Olu dressed shabbily, it’s not him. I remember the early years of our marriage, after 1993, things got rough with us, after pumping all our money into an investment.
We used to work ourselves to the bone. And it used to upset us that we couldn’t dress the way we liked to. But there were responsibilities to take care of. That was an attraction as well; his sense of style, honesty and high integrity.
What  kept marriage going
Friendship. We are each other’s very close friend. It’s not as if we don’t have close friends outside our marriage, but I think we are both each other’s number one close friend. The other thing is mutual respect, the fact that we both share the same passion about the area of entertainment that we are in. Of course, the various challenges that we’ve faced over the years , we’ve learnt how to surmount them together. At different times when it is necessary, we have both learnt to forgive each other. I guess the sum total of what I’m saying is that God’s grace has been present in our marriage.
People always refer to your marriage as a successful celebrity marriage. What is the secret of  being able to hold on to your marriage  for 28 years and you remain inseparable?
God’s grace has kept us in the sense that even when the challenges come, we’ve been very lucky with the kind of friends that we have had who have been very supportive. They too have their share in making sure that this marriage succeeds.  I have some very good friends and family, definitely good family on both sides.
Key factor for successful marriage
There has been the contribution of family and friends. We don’t have that many friends really, but the ones we have  are like family, they are very close to us. They’ve been with us from day one.  Our families too have been very supportive, especially, when the children were younger and we had to work. It was easy to take the children to family members while we went about what it was necessary for us to do , knowing fully well that the children were in good hands.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum